We are authorized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to help US residents and US non-residents, their spouses and dependents to apply for an individual taxpayer identification number.
What is an ITIN?
An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It is a nine digit number that begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit (e.g. 9XX-7X-XXXX). Previously, the IRS issued cards with ITINs, but now the ITIN is send in a letter (Form 9844).
Who must apply for an ITIN?
If you earn income in the United States but you do not have or are not qualified for a Social Security Number, Affordable Accounting & Tax Solutions can help you to apply for an ITIN and file tax returns. We help you to prepare the ITIN application for a fee of $25.
Why you need an ITIN?
- It serves as your identification number for filing your federal taxes.
- It allows you to get a refund from your income withheld by the IRS, if you qualify.
- It allows you to file your taxes and claim dependents you support in the U.S., Mexico or Canada.
- With an ITIN you may be able to open a bank account.
What do you need to apply for an ITIN?
- A complete IRS Form W-7
- A U.S. federal income tax return
- Your passport
or TWO of the following documents: (including at least one identification with photo and one identification from your country):
- National identification card (Must be current, and contain name, photo, current address, date of birth and expiration date)
- US Driver’s License
- Civil Birth Certificate
- Foreign Driver’s license
- US State identification card
- Foreign Voter’s registration card
- US Military registration card
- Foreign Military registration card
- US visa (to prove ineligibility for an SSN)
- US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification
- Medical records (for dependents under 14 years old only)
- School records (dependents and /or students under 25 years old only).
Our Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) Services:
You can apply for an ITIN and we, as the Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA), will verify your supporting documents and issue a Certificate of Accuracy (CoA). The benefit is that you do not need to send original documents to IRS. We will submit copies of your documents, along with your ITIN application, to the IRS for you. The fee for this service is $15 (per application). Service fees quoted are based on the assumption that we will prepare your tax return for which you will pay our preparation fees separately (as low as $95.00 per return). Any additional services will be charged separately.
Applying for an ITIN for you, your spouse, and your dependents, can be completed when you prepare your tax return with us.
- The ITIN application cannot be submitted on line.
- The applicant typically receives the ITIN 4 to 6 weeks from submission.
- The ITIN is valid for five years. Taxpayers who still need an ITIN will be able to reapply at the end of the expiration period.
- The possession of an ITIN does not change the applicant’s immigration status or entitle the applicant to legal employment in the US.
- The ITIN does not take the place of a SSN or qualify the applicant for Social Security benefits.
- An ITIN holder is not eligible for an Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). However, if that person becomes eligible for Social Security in the future, the earnings reported with an ITIN may be counted toward the amount he or she is eligible to receive.
- If an ITIN applicant later becomes eligible for a SSN, the ITIN may no longer be used and a SSN must be obtained for the Social Security Administration.
- The ITIN is formatted in the same manner as a SSN and is used for reporting taxes only and not intended to serve any other purpose.
- A tax return must be attached to the ITIN Application.
To get started, call our office today at 215-464-3100 or request a free consultation through our website to find out how you can benefit from our ITIN services.